Elisa Llurba, MD, PhD (ELL) is the Head of Obstetrics and Gynecology Department at the Santa Creu i Sant Pau University Hospital. Associated Professor in Medicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) and principal investigator (PI) of the Perinatal and Women’s Health Group, in the Santa Creu and Sant Pau Hospital Research Institute in Barcelona. Coordinate’s work of 15 pre-doctoral researchers and 3 post- doctoral investigators.
ELL presents an outstanding clinical research trajectory as leader and active member of a clinical and basic research group focused on the study of diseases derived placental insufficiency, preeclampsia, growth restriction and congenital heart disease. ELL is the PI within the framework of RETICs 16/0022 entitled MATERNAL CHILD AND DEVELOPMENT NETWORK (SAMID) (Instituto de Salud Carlos III) in which is the coordinator of one of the two programs awarded in the last call for RETICs. From 2022 she is the Coordinator a RICORS network entitled “Primary Care Interventions to Prevent Maternal and Child Chronic Diseases of Perinatal and Developmental Origin”, RD21/0012/0001, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain.
Her lines of research have also been funded by 4 public FIS calls last one in 2019 entittle: “Cardiac dysfunction and remodeling in patients with preeclampsia regulated by antiangiogenic environment: Clinical and experimental approach (FIS PI19/00702)” in line with previous financed projects as a PI: PI 16/00375 and PI13/01449, a non-commercial clinical trial (HOPPE-trial: EC-2010) and an IMPACT grant from the Department of Education and Science. The line has also been financed by private funds: PROGNOSIS ROCHE study. She is a co-investigator in Prenatal exposure to urban AIR pollution and pre- and post-natal Brain development (AIR-NB). IP: Jordi Sunyer. IRC H2020-SCI-2016-RDT-785994. 2018-2023. European Council. She is also PI in several international RCT in pregnancy: Hidroxicloroquin in pregnant covid women, covid -19 vaccination in pregnant women, heparin treatment, PROGNOSIS, among others.
She is part of the Editorial Board of Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy, BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth and European Journal of Nefrology. She has published more than 10 book chapters. Based on her achievements and contributions in her area of expertise she is an active collaborator as a reviewer of the Coordination and Evaluation Branch of the State Research Agency (AEI) and multiple peer review scientific journals.
QUALITY INDICATORS OF SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION:
88 publications in international journals with 2731 citations (H-index: 28; RG score: 34.46, 347 impact points, 5,5 average impact per publication), half of them published in the last four years being more than 76% of the articles in journals in the first quartile. The main contributions were:
1) Provide evidence of the utility of angiogenic factors (AF) in patients at risk for preeclampsia: 1)Predictive value of sFlt1 / PlGF ratio in patients with clinical suspicion (N Engl J Med. 2016); 2) Study angiogenic markers in the management and clinical guidelines (FDT 2014, UOG 2016, 2015,2019); 3) Prediction of PE: Rheumatology 2019, UOG, 2018, 2016, 2013, 2008; Am J Reprod Immunol 2008, Hum Reprod 2012; Lupus, 2012; Am J Reprod Immunol 2012;. Immunobiology 2012); 3) Oxidative stress and placental angiogenic factors (Free Rad Biol Med 2004, Metabolism 2005, AJOG 2006, Hypertension in Pregnancy 2012, J Perinatal Medicine 2013); 4)Cardiovascular and neurological development: Nutrients 2020, JPM, 2013; UOG 2013 and 2008; Am J Reprod Immunol 2008, OBI, 2009) 5) Congenital Heart Disease and neurodevelopment: (UOG 2018, J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2016; Fetal Diagn Ther 2015; EHJ, 2013; UOG 2012). 6) Enviromental effects on maternal and fetal health.
Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (2002), sub-specialization in Maternal- Fetal Medicine(2005), Doctor in Medicine in 2007 (European mention, excellent cum laude), 3 stages in prestigious foreign institutions (2001-2003-2011). Master degree in Maternal-Fetal Medicine (2010), Master Degree in Health Management and Organizations (2018)
2013-2015: Member of “the National Children’s Study (NCS)-PERINATOLOGY WORKING GROUP of the: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), OMS. Obtaining grant for intensifying research in 2015-2016 from the Research Institute of Vall dHebron (VHIR).
2010: Grant for international fellowships (BAE-11/00071), Financed by the Department of Human Resources of Carlos III Institute of Health, Madrid, Spain
2010: Research grant for a sojourn (2010 BE-DGR 00138) from AGAUR, Generalitat de Catalunya, for her post-doctoral training in the University of Maryland Medical Center.
• Director of a Universitary Expert course from Barcelona University on Maternal and Obstetric Medicine from 2021.
• Director of a two-year Master Degree of Maternal-Fetal Medicine of the Autonomus University of Barcelona from 2017.
• Associated professor of the Autonomus University of Barcelona from 2013.
• Eight thesis defended between 2011-2021 and currently co-director of 12 doctoral thesis.